About the Bike Tour
The next Heritage Explorer Bike Tour & Festival will be held in 2018. Please check back for a date soon!
The Heritage Explorer Bike Tour and Festival is an annual event hosted by Lackawanna Heritage Valley. The tour starts at Blakely Borough Recreational Complex in Peckville, and continues along the scenic and historic Lackawanna River Heritage Trail through Archbald, Jermyn, Carbondale, Simpson, and Union Dale. You will enjoy beautiful scenery, learn about the history of the region, and meet new friends. Families may plan a full day of outdoor fun with the bike tour in the morning, and festivals in Archbald and Carbondale in the afternoon!
About the Bike Tour
- The bike tour offers four, out-and-back routes that extend from Blakely Borough Recreation Complex north on the Lackawanna River Heritage Trail and through neighborhood streets in 17 municipalities.
- Riders will choose a 5, 11 or 22-mile course, and more experienced bicyclists may enjoy the Union Dale Pusher, a 44-mile course which includes the historic Delaware and Hudson (D&H) Rail-Trail into the scenic Endless Mountains.
- Riders who sign up for the Union Dale Pusher and the 22-mile course will head out promptly at 8 a.m. Registration for those riders opens at 7 a.m.
- Those joining the 11 and 5-mile tours may choose to arrive a bit later, as those tours will leave at 30- minute intervals, between 8 and 9:30 a.m. All riders should arrive 30 minutes prior to their selected tour to complete the registration process.
- Riders are strongly encouraged to use mountain bikes or hybrid bikes. Road bikes are not suitable for the trail portion of the rides.
- All of the trails have wide pathways, packed gravel surfaces, and gentle inclines that are generally under 4% grade.
- Each route has Station Stops on the course with water, snacks, and fun activities. Marshals will patrol the course, and all street sections will be marked and intersections staffed with flaggers.
- We ride rain or shine!
About the Festivals
Fall Festival in Carbondale: The Greater Carbondale YMCA is hosting a Fall Festival from 1 to 5 p.m. This event features pumpkin painting, live entertainment, refreshments, games and more!
Harvest Festival in Archbald: The Archbald Lions Club and Eynon Lions Club are partnering to offer a Harvest Festival from 1 to 4 p.m. at High School Plaza at Archbald Memorial Park. A great way for families to enjoy the afternoon, this event features face painting, music, kids’ activities, and more!